Writers! If you have a script in development, here’s an opportunity for you.
Theatre Starts Inc. is requesting the submission of new scripts for the Writers’ Springboard. This project will provide professional dramaturges to selected writers of scripts under development. Dramaturges will work with the playwrights in three month cycles. Dramaturge and writers will engage in an intensive dialogue with particular reference to strengthening dialogue in the scripts, character development, theatre effectiveness, story arc, tempo and overall structure. Detailed, written evaluations will be provided.
Each cycle will culminate in staged readings by experienced actors rehearsed by experienced directors. There will be performances over three days in November, February and May of each year for each set of selected scripts. These performances will include an opportunity for audience feedback. Selected writers will receive a fee of $150 in addition to the services of the dramaturge and two staged readings of their script.
Selected writers must be prepared to engage with the dramaturge.
- Playwrights must be a resident of Ontario.
- Musicals are not eligible but a play with music will be considered.
- Full length and One-Act plays are eligible.
- Submitted scripts must not have been published or professionally produced.
- More than one submission per playwright is allowed.
- All plays must be submitted in English.
- A separate cover page should include all contact information but no information that identifies the playwright should be located elsewhere in the script. The Jurists will have no information regarding the playwrights.
- Please submit scripts electronically if possible. Electronic submissions may be submitted to email@example.com
- Hard copy submissions should not be bound in any way. Please send hard copy submissions to: Theatre Starts Inc., 315 Reading Place, Newmarket, ON L3Y 6H6
- Hard copy scripts will not be returned unless requested and a prepaid, addressed envelope is included.
SUBMISSIONS MUST BE POSTMARKED BY June 15th, 2012.
Submitted scripts will be randomly assigned to jurists who are experienced theatre professionals With international reputations.
Selected playwrights will be notified by August 7, 2012
Please see www.theatrestarts.com for more information including bios of the dramaturges.