Hey, writers! Time to dust off that short script that’s never been produced, or get cracking on finishing the one you’ve got in the works. The call has gone out for script submissions to Alumnae Theatre’s annual New Ideas Festival, and the deadline to submit is September 15, 2012. The Festival will run from March 6-24, 2013 – this marks its 25th anniversary! New Ideas is a juried, 3-week festival which focuses on script development, and offers playwrights an opportunity to collaborate with other theatre artists. There is a different lineup of short plays each week. Playwrights are encouraged to participate in the whole production process, from choosing a director and cast to attending rehearsals and revising their work as it comes off the page. New Ideas offers dramaturgical support to playwrights who request it, free rehearsal and production space, technical support, access to Alumnae Theatre’s costume and props collections, publicity, and sold-out houses.
Here’s the skinny:
- Anyone anywhere can submit a script, but must adhere to the instructions detailed below.
- Maximum of 2 scripts per playwright; $10 fee per submission.
- Scripts must be original works that have not been previously performed (outside of a workshop).
- Scripts are read “blind” – the writers’ names should not appear on script pages.
- Completed scripts which are chosen for New Ideas will receive 6 performances. Scripts/proposals in early development or those longer than 40 minutes may be selected for a workshop reading (one performance).
- Any genre or style is acceptable.
- Maximum running time 40 minutes.
- Playwrights may not act in or direct their own script.
- Preference is given to scripts with challenging roles for women of all ages.
- Deadline to submit: September 15, 2012.
Scripts or proposals must be typed single-sided on 8.5 x 11″ white paper with pages numbered. Please include the following on the cover page:
- title of the play
- list and description of characters with their ages
- synopsis of play (35 words or less)
Send a separate contact page with the submission that includes:
- title of play
- playwright’s name and contact information
- short bio of playwright (75 words or less)
Do not show the playwright’s name on any of the text pages, as scripts are read blind.
Scripts or proposals for NIF 2013 may be submitted electronically in Word or PDF format to NIFscripts@gmail.com.
If submitting a hard copy version of a script or proposal, please mail or deliver three copies to:
New Ideas Festival — Script Submissions
Alumnae Theatre Company
70 Berkeley Street
A cheque or money order payable to Alumnae Theatre Company for $10 [Canadian funds] should be included with each submission (fee waived for Alumnae members). If submitting your script electronically, please mail the fee to the above address. Scripts will not be accepted until the fee has been received.
NOTE: NIF will confirm receipt of submissions by email within two weeks. Please do not telephone or email Alumnae Theatre for confirmation. Scripts will not be returned, and NIF does not provide feedback on submissions.
For more info on New Ideas and Alumnae Theatre, check out website at www.alumnaetheatre.com
And why not follow us on Twitter – our handle is @alumnaetheatre.