Hey, writers! Time to dust off that short script that’s never been produced, or get cracking on finishing the one you’ve got in the works. The deadline to submit to Alumnae Theatre’s annual New Ideas Festival is September 5, 2013 (yes, a little earlier than usual). New Ideas is a juried, 3-week festival which focuses on script development, and offers playwrights dramaturgical support, free rehearsal space, publicity, and sold-out houses. Playwrights are encouraged to participate in the whole production process, from choosing a director and cast to attending rehearsals and revising their work as it comes off the page. The Festival runs from March 12-30, 2014, with a different lineup each week.
– Anyone from anywhere (Canada or elsewhere) can submit a script, but must adhere to the instructions detailed below.
– Maximum of 2 scripts per playwright; $10 fee per submission.
– Scripts must be original works that have not been previously performed (outside of a workshop).
– Scripts are read “blind” – the writers’ names should not appear on script pages.
– Any genre or style is acceptable.
– Maximum running time 40 minutes.
– Completed scripts which are chosen for New Ideas will receive 6 performances.
– Scripts/proposals in early development or those longer than 40 minutes may be selected for a workshop reading (one performance).
– Playwrights may not act in or direct their own script.
– Deadline to submit: September 5, 2013.
Preference will be given to scripts with challenging roles for women of all ages. NIF welcomes voices from diverse communities.
Please number the text pages!
Cover page must show the following:
– title of the play
– list of characters, with age, gender, brief description.
– synopsis of play (35 words or less)
– Do not show the playwright’s name on cover page or text pages, as scripts are read blind.
Include a separate contact page with the submission that includes:
– title of play
– brief synopsis of play
– playwright’s name and contact information
– short bio of playwright (75 words or less)
Scripts or proposals for NIF 2014 should be submitted electronically in Word or PDF format to NIFscripts@gmail.com.
Please mail a cheque or money order payable to Alumnae Theatre Company for $10 Canadian funds per script submitted. (This fee is waived for members in good standing of Alumnae Theatre Company).
Mail to: NEW IDEAS FESTIVAL , Alumnae Theatre Company, 70 Berkeley Street, Toronto, ON M5A 2W6.
NOTE: NIF will confirm receipt of submissions within two weeks, and scripts will be processed as soon as the fee has been received. Please do not telephone or email Alumnae Theatre for confirmation. Scripts will not be returned, and NIF does not provide feedback on submissions.
For more info on New Ideas and Alumnae Theatre, watch this blog or find us on Facebook. To check out what happened at New Ideas 2013 (the 25th anniversary!), visit http://www.alumnaetheatre.com/ideas.html
And why not follow us on Twitter – our handle is @alumnaetheatre.