The script submission deadline was Saturday, so now… Calling non-union directors! Apply to direct any one of the 15 short (10 – 40 mins) plays in the upcoming New Ideas Festival (NIF) 2016. It’s Alumnae Theatre Company’s 28th annual juried festival of new plays, works-in-progress, and experimental theatre, running March 9 – 27, 2016.
- Oct. 5, 2015: Deadline to apply to direct one of the New Ideas Festival plays.
- Nov. 14, 2015: (MANDATORY) Creative Exchange: directors meet playwrights.
- Dec 8, 9, 10, or 11, 2015: (MANDATORY) Attend your play’s cold reading on one of these dates.
- Jan 6-10, 2016: (MANDATORY) Attend Festival auditions according to casting needs.
- Feb 1, 2016: Rehearsals begin.
- March 9 – Sun. March 27, 2016: New Ideas Festival. Each show runs one week. Staged readings have one performance on a Saturday at noon.
NIF provides the following:
- Stage managers, technical crew, and front of house staff
- Festival auditions presenting a large pool of actors
- Rehearsal space, performance space
- Promotional materials and publicity
- Access to Alumnae Theatre’s wardrobe, props, and sets
- A collaborative process with the playwright to continue developing a new work with actors and a dramaturge (if requested)
- A supportive place for directors to experiment and hone their skills
- Production guidelines and mentorship that get all the plays and dozens of performers successfully from audition to rehearsal to stage.
New Ideas Festival does not pay fees, royalties, or a box office share to participants. Alumnae Theatre Company retains creative discretion over the festival as a whole. The focus of the festival is script development, so technical requirements for the plays are kept to a minimum. NIF is an exciting opportunity to work one-on-one with a playwright to develop a new work.
If you are interested in directing a play in the New Ideas Festival, email firstname.lastname@example.org by Oct 5, 2015. Please make the subject line “Director Application (your name)” and provide a directing CV or paragraph description of your experience. You will receive further details once you have submitted your application.
As our industry has far fewer female directors, women directors are especially encouraged to apply.
For more info on New Ideas, please visit http://www.alumnaetheatre.com/new-ideas-festival.html
The lineup will be listed once plays are selected and programmed.