Alumnae Theatre Company’s New Ideas Festival (NIF) is an annual, three-week juried festival of new plays, works-in-progress and experimental theatre. Each week features a different program of up to four plays, as well as a workshopped reading on Saturday at noon. The 2017 festival, NIF’s 29th season, will run from March 8 to 26, 2017.
NIF offers dramaturgical support, rehearsal and production space, technical support, access to Alumnae Theatre’s costume and props collections, publicity and sold-out houses.
When to Submit:
Send them now! The deadline for submissions is September 5, 2016 (September 15 for members of Alumnae Theatre Company). Preference will be given to Canadian scripts and scripts with challenging roles for women of all ages. NIF welcomes voices from diverse communities.
- Scripts must be original works that have not been previously performed outside of a workshop;
- Scripts may be in any genre or style, but preference given to Canadian writers and scripts with good roles for women;
- There are no geographical restrictions to submissions, but please see THINGS TO NOTE re: playwright availability & involvement;
- Maximum running time 40 minutes. One act of a full-length play may also be accepted for production. Submissions longer than 40 minutes will be considered for a one-time staged reading to showcase the script development accomplished during the rehearsal period;
- Each playwright may submit a maximum of two scripts;
- Scripts or proposals should be submitted electronically in PDF or Word format to NIFscripts@gmail.com. Submissions are read ‘blind’, so there must NOT be any identifying information on the script pages;
- Please include a cover page providing: play title; • list and description of characters (including age); • short play synopsis.
- Send a separate contact page with the play title, playwright’s name and contact information, and a short bio (75 words or less).
- Scripts which do not conform to these guidelines will not be considered.
THINGS TO NOTE:
- There is no fee to submit to or participate in New Ideas Festival. Playwrights will not be paid a royalty or any share of Box Office receipts.
- NIF does not provide feedback on submissions.
- Expect confirmation of receipt of your script within 2 weeks.
- The lineup of New Ideas Festival 2017 will be announced in early November 2016.
- ‘Creative Exchange’ (think Speed Dating for chosen playwrights and potential directors!) on Nov 5.
- Cold readings of all the chosen plays, Dec 6-9.
- Playwrights must be available (Skype is an option) for the Creative Exchange and for at least one of the December cold reads dates.
- Playwrights help choose the director for their script, and may be as involved as they wish in casting and rehearsal process.
- Performances and most rehearsals will take place at Alumnae Theatre (70 Berkeley St.) in Toronto.
- Future productions must include a program note: “First performed at Alumnae Theatre Company’s New Ideas Festival, 2017”.
See our website at http://www.alumnaetheatre.com/submission-calls.html for more info.