Hey, writers! Time to dust off that short script that’s never been produced, or get cracking on finishing the one you’ve got in the works. The deadline to submit to Alumnae Theatre’s 27th annual New Ideas Festival is September 5, 2014. The Festival runs from March 11-29, 2015. New Ideas is a juried, 3-week festival which focuses on script development, and offers playwrights dramaturgical support, free rehearsal space, publicity, and sold-out houses.
Playwrights are encouraged to participate in the whole production process, from choosing a director and cast to attending rehearsals and revising their work as it comes off the page.
Anyone from anywhere can submit a script, but must adhere to the instructions detailed below. No submission fee.
– Scripts must be original works that have not been previously performed (outside of a workshop).
– Scripts are read “blind” – the writers’ names should not appear on script pages.
– Any genre or style is acceptable.
– Maximum running time 40 minutes.
– Submissions longer than 40 minutes will only be considered for a one-time staged reading.
– Completed scripts which are chosen for New Ideas will receive 6 performances.
– Playwrights are not permitted to act in or direct their own script.
– Deadline to submit: September 5, 2014.
Scripts or proposals should be submitted electronically in PDF or Word format to NIFscripts@gmail.com.
Please include a cover page with the script/proposal, providing the play title, a list and description of characters (including age), and a short play synopsis. Send a separate contact page with the play title, playwright’s name and contact information, and a short bio (75 words or less). NIF does not provide feedback on submissions or return scripts.
NIF will confirm receipt of submissions within two weeks, and scripts/proposals will be sent to the NIF reading committee. The 2015 festival lineup will be announced in early November, followed by cold reads of all chosen plays in early December.
Preference will be given to scripts that include challenging roles for women of all ages. NIF welcomes voices from diverse communities.
These instructions can be also be found on AUDITION NOTICES tab of our website http://alumnaetheatre.com/