The 12th annual InspiraTO Festival of 10-minute plays runs June 1 – 10, 2017 at Alumnae Theatre in Toronto. This year’s theme is “Grow Up” – although choosing not to grow up means bringing a sense of child-like wonder into our art and life.
16 directors have already been selected for the Festival; 8 plays still require directors.
A Test of Mettle by Steven R Bond. 2 Males. Why do we attach such value to objects from our childhood? A confrontation that goes off- course. Eerie.
So Lovely Here On Earth by Mary Portser. 1 Female/ 1 Male. When a college dropout applies for a mission to Mars, she meets resistance from an unlikely source. Ironic.
A Complete Set by Jenny Lyn Bader. 2 Females/1 Male. Four chairs sit discarded on a sidewalk. Could they complete an ideal table and harmonious future grown-up life? An imaginative interpretation about trust, aspirations, and the perils of abandoned furniture.
Mother and Daughter by Scott Carter Cooper. 2 Female. A mother is looking forward to building an adult relationship with her daughter, while the daughter has other ideas about what it means to be a grown up.
The Chinese Life Force by Michael McGoldrick. 2 Male. Two old college friends catch up over a friendly game of Scrabble, but ancient rivalries come to the fore. A tale about today’s “man” and the many ways he’s compelled to compete.
Twirling by Karen Loseff Lothan. 1 Female/1 Male. Wisdom can come from the strangest of places. A six year old teaches her father a lesson that warms the soul and opens up the heart.
Grindrd by J. Joseph Cox. 2 Male/ 1 Female. Two teenagers, bent on being treated as grown-ups, discover a jaw-dropping secret that makes them second-guess their own preparedness for being adults. A funny tale about the vagary of sexuality.
Immortals by Noah Habenstreit. 3 Male/ 1 Female. A play about three beings who are able to live forever. One day they find out that’s about to change. The pacing and rhythm of the dialogue is impeccable.
Want to direct one? Here’s what you do – please note that the deadline to submit is Jan. 24, 2017:
- Read the scripts at :http://www.theatreinspirato.ca/participate/call-for-actors-and-directors
- Decide which play(s) you’d like to direct. Put them in order of preference. If selected you will only direct one play.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line write: Direct A Play. Answer the following questions:
– your name, phone number and email address
– Your experience/training/background in directing/performance arts (you may attach a resume if you wish)
– Your availability (times during the week you are available for auditions and rehearsals)
AND for each play you would like to direct:
1) State the name of the play
2) What interests you about the play
3) Your approach to directing.
NOTICE TO ACTORS: Auditions will be posted in February and take place in March.
InspiraTO is a non-union, non-paying event.